Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:08:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Gary Schrock <gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: build times for 3.x vs 4.x

Gary Schrock wrote:

> Ok, I'm kinda curious if anyone else has noticed this.  I realize there are
> some things that have been added, but it seems like a pretty significant jump.
>
> The system:
> P3-600E, 384M, Adaptec 3950U2 with a seagate baracuda and cheetah
> drive.  (/usr/src is on the baracuda).
>
> With 3.x-stable, our make buildworld time was about 35 minutes.  We just
> updated that to 4.x-stable using the cd upgrade method in sysinstall, and
> the build time has jumped to 55 minutes.  Now, has that much really been
> added to the build process? Or is something odd going on?
>
> I'll also note, the times for make, make -j 2, and make -j 4 all are about
> 3 minutes apart, so there's no benefit for trying those.
>
> So basically, is this jump normal? Or is it unusual?

It is about the same jump that I'm seeing. I have setiathome running
in the background (nice of 19) and on 3.4 it would still show about
90% of the cpu running top. On 4.0-stable, I am seeing the buildworlds
jump from 2000u second to 3500u second and setiathome doesn't accrue
any appreciable cpu time.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html