Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:13:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Peter Ross" <Peter.Ross@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
To:        <matt@offmyserver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clustering options

Matt Olander wrote:
> The system detects that a new blade is in slot3 and deploys the
> webserver image, as per your rule.

If I do a first installation I write a script documenting everything I
change after deploying a base system (e.g. changes in /etc, installing of
packages, creation of directories or symlinks etc.)

Later I do a network boot, installing the base system, running the script
and restore data.

Advantages:

The script documents my machine and I always know what a machine does. A
new installation is always clean and does not contain traces of former try
and error procedures, reconfigurations etc.

I can use it with newer OS and software versions. (OK, I have to check it
once).

It is easy to convert a machine from running service A (e.g. FTP) to a
machine serving B (e.g. a mail server).

If I am in need of faster recovery I have a bunch of harddisks or even
blades ready to go.

Imaging is a tool created by whimps to copy Windows systems (where
installation does black magic and usually needs interaction;-).

And imaging is a source of wealth for manufacturers. See the license fee
for  the IBM Director Remote Deployment Module. As A UNIX admin familiar
with a routine described above I do not see many advantages.

Regards
Peter