Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:21:07 -0500
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable Maling List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Swap Questions

On 08/17/2015 12:53 PM, Antony Uspensky wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
>> So -L does fix the problem - sort of.  The machine picks up the file as
>> additional swap on boot just fine.  HWOEVER, when I try to reboot or shut
>> down the host, I get a panic telling me some noise about not being able
>> to shutdown swap for some reason.
>
> Try to swapoff (by hands) before shutdown.
> Shutdown sequence, I think, unmounts carrying disk before swapping off a carried file. If I am right, -L should be processed on shutdown also.
> Just a guess.

Yes, that did it.

But, isn't this kind of an operational bug?  Shouldn't the shutdown logic
do the swapoff before the unmount if it sees files being used for swap?

i.e. Should I enter this as a bug report?

The only reason this matters - and it's a pretty big reason - is for production
servers when someone logs in remotely, becomes root, and issued "reboot".  The
machine hangs at the panic and never comes back ... something you do not see
unless you are in a console of some sort ...
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com