Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:43:27 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mod_php4.3.1 + curl causing apache core

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 05:52:05PM -0600, Stephen Cravey wrote:
> I just upgraded to php4.3.1 and i'm getting core dumps with
> apache13-modssl when the php4 module and ssl modules load. I can recompile
> without CURL support and everything is happy. The logs show no error
> messages other than:
>
> Feb 27 17:00:20 www /kernel: pid 12468 (httpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> php4 make shows:
>
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libssl.so.2, needed by
> /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so, may conflict with libssl.so.3
>
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.2, needed by
> /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so, may conflict with libcrypto.so.3
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> I've also noticed that the apache13-modssl port installs the openssl port
> instead of using the default openssl code. Could this be causing part of
> the problem?

The problem you're seeing is that some loadable modules in your apache
have been linked against different versions of the openssl libraries.

Part of the problem is the recent update to OpenSSL 0.9.7a in -STABLE
due to some security bugs in the previous version:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03%3A02.openssl.asc

which has resulted in a version bump to libssl.so.3 for the shlib in
the core system.  If you've updated recently you've probably got
something like the following in /usr/lib:

    % ls -la /usr/lib/libssl.so*
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      11 Feb 27 15:34 /usr/lib/libssl.so@ -> libssl.so.3
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  182856 Nov 22 18:44 /usr/lib/libssl.so.2
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  189544 Feb 27 15:34 /usr/lib/libssl.so.3

The apache13-modssl port will compile perfectly well against the
libssl.so.3 version in the base system, as will the curl library
(presumably as part of php) --- I have precisely that combination
working here just fine myself.  Unless you have a specific need for
the ports version of OpenSSL, I'd recommend de-installing it, and
recompiling all the ports that depend on it, so that they end up using
the system version.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way