Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:38:57 +0200
From:      Pierluigi Adami <pierluigi_adami@telespazio.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   MIDI (and audio) on freeBSD

MIDI support on freeBSD. I know it's a quite common question, sorry for
not being able to solve it by myself, but I read tons of Google's pages
with poor results.
I've just installed freeBSD 5.2 on a quite old laptop (Pentium II, audio
card Yamaha DS-XG). It works fine for most stuff but the midi.
first question:
After some troubles, and a Kernel recompilation with the option "device
pcm", I found in /dev directory lots of devices related to sound. KDE
still does not sound at all: it looks for a /dev/dsp device that does
not exists; a /dev/dsp0.0 exists instead, but I haven't found the way to
instruct KDE to load the right device.
second question:
MIDI is not loaded at all. Is there any other module to put in the
Kernel config file? Should I add some specific lines to /boot/load.conf?
Thank you all fo supporting me.
Pierluigi Adami
pierluigi_adami@telespazio.it