Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:16:22 -0400
From:      mgruver@reveregroup.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From a newbie standpoint

Michael Gruver
09/17/2000 09:59 PM

To:  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
cc:

From another newbie standpoint:
(I read the later messages in the thread too...)
I think the install program is very powerful.  One thing is for sure, you really
need to know your hardware before you start.

The second thing is you really need Greg Lehey's book "The Complete FreeBSD: 3rd
Edition". When I read it the first few time(s) I was stunned by the
incomprehensible nature of the writings.  I was dismayed at the cryptic
rationing of wisdom.  Yet, I persisted... and in less than a month I have the
first good install! (Joking aside, I could not have done it without that book.
Kudos to Greg.)

The third thing(s) you will need is an incredible amount of patience and time.
This thing is not for kids, and it surely "ain't no game".  It is, however, just
the ticket for any type of server!

Now, if I can just figure out how to execute Xfree86...

Mike

Robert Hicks wrote:

> >From a newbie standpoint FreeBSD needs a graphical installation routine that
> walks a newbie through setting up the system.

nathan wrote:

everyone that has ever used freebsd, has been a "newbie" to it once, and had to
install it for the "first time" ... the existing installation method (which IS
graphical in most parts) has "walked" countless 'newbies' through installing
freebsd.. myself being one of them