Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 13:03:59 -0400
From:      Stephen Derdau <sderdau@bit-net.com>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NE2000 problems

Not sure but may want to check your setting on edo
Looks like 280...
if your ne2000 is set for 240 may have a problem
try booting FreeBSD with -c
go to config mode ..
check to see if your irq and i/o are the same as what
it shows in dos for example.
Hope this helps.

By the way you can set either ed1 or ed0 to the setting for your card.

Stuart Krivis wrote:

> I cvsuped to 2.2.7 and had some trouble after compiling a kernel.
>
> It hangs after booting up to the NIC driver. I have an NE2000 clone at
> 0x240 and IRQ5. This did work with the install from 2.2.6 off floppy when
> I configured the kernel there.
>
> Leaving the line for ed0 at the default doesn't produce the hang, but then
> the NIC doesn't work either. :-) I'm wondering what else might be causing
> a conflict.
>
> Here's my current config (the one that boots okay):
>
> (note that there are a number of things I can comment out, and probably
> will once I get this resolved.)
>
> #
> # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
> #
> # For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
> # Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
> # The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
> # latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
> # <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
> #
> # An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
> # device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
> # in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
> #
> #       $Id: GENERIC,v 1.77.2.25 1998/07/20 20:11:04 msmith Exp $
>
> machine         "i386"
> cpu             "I586_CPU"
> ident           CUSTOM
> maxusers        10
>
> #options                MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
> options         INET                    #InterNETworking
> options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
> options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
> options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
> options         SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
> options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers
> options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
> options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
> options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
> options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
> options         COMPAT_LINUX
> config          kernel  root on sd0
>
> controller      isa0
> #controller     eisa0
> controller      pci0
>
> controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
> disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
> disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
> # Unless you know very well what you're doing, leave ft0 at drive 2, or
> # remove the line entirely if you don't need it.  Trying to configure
> [...]

/SD
	FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE #0: Sat Jun 27 15:11:12 EDT 1998
**http://www.freebsd.org/search.html "Alot of answers found here see
FAQ's"**
***** FreeBSD IT's HARD TO BELIEVE IT IS FREE ! http://www.FreeBSD.org
*****