Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:57:30 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>
To:        "stop here. start everywhere." <feedback@phpStop.com>
Cc:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>, Frederik Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 03:11:06AM +0200, stop here. start everywhere. wrote:

> Speaking of this subject again, I have read in the archives that FreeBSD
> has a method of building the whole source tree using the "make world"
> command. Although this is a nice feature, but isn't too much risky to
> upgrade the whole system in one shot?

Theres always an element of risk when upgrading systems, but having it
done in a automatic, managed fashion which takes care of doing
everything in the correct order, makes sure no steps are missed etc,
is a lot safer than trying to do it manually, piecemeal, by hand and
hoping you get it right and all of the resultant bits work together.

> What if something breaks down after you've recompiled? Your system would
> be dead. In Linux, on the contrary, there's no such feature and you'll
> need to take the server anyways to upgrade it, which seems as a good way
> of doing things. In the meantime, another backup server can take its
> position. I guess in this fashion, Linux is better than FreeBSD... or
> did I miss something here?

You can do the backup server thing on FreeBSD too if you like -
nothing to stop you. In fact it's always sensible to have a
contingency plan when doing upgrades of critical production systems
because despite our best efforts, things may sometimes (rarely, if you
do it right) not go according to plan.

My experience of upgrading Linux vs FreeBSD systems is that make world
beats it hands down, at least compared to an RPM-based linux system.

Kris