Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:05:25 +0200
From:      Jesper Holmberg <jesper.holmberg@enst-bretagne.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't mount hard drive

I have a problem with a hard drive that won't mount.

I wrote to the list about this problem about a month ago. The problem
then was that I had added a new drive, assigning it the name ad1. When
rebooting, this drive could not be mounted. Jean-Marc Zucconi kindly
suggested I add the drive as wd1 instead, which seemed to work find.

Now the problems have reoccured. The problem is that whenever I try to
access the drive, I get these errors:

# mount /dev/wd1 /mnt

ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk#0 status=59 error=04
wd1: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
mount: Input/output error

This is the same regardless if I use mount, disklabel, sysinstall, fsck
or fdisk.

But the drive is there, dmesg reports:

ad1: 2014MB <FUJITSU MPB3064ATU E> [4092/16/63] at ata0-slave BIOSPIO

Since changing from ad1 to wd1 worked the last time, I'm thinking this
might have anything to do with the problem, and I'm a little confused
that ad1 is mentioned both in the error messages from mount and in the
dmesg. It should be wd1, shouldn't it?

Since I can't access the drive at all, I don't know how to restart. Is
there a more low level format or something that I could try?

My fstab says this:

/dev/wd1  /mnt ufs  rw  2  2

My kernel-config says this:

device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk

I am using an old 486-66dx and the drive is a Fujitsu MPB3021AT

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Jesper