Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:10:46 -0400
From:      snl@cert.org
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ThinkPad T22 / Orinoco Issues

I am (still) running CVSup'ed to 8/15-04:04:00 on my T22 because I
live my whole life on it.  I wanted to wait for the dust to settle
from all the great work Warner Losh et al have been doing to get
everything working.

I'm now considering CVSuping to the latest RELENG_4, and wanted to
know if a couple issues that I'm currently seeing have been seen by
anyone else.  I've been following this list from time to time, and
hadn't seen mention of them.

(1) IBSSS + 2 ORINOCO CARDS IN PROMISC MODE = OCCASIONAL CRASH
    I have an old PC running 4.3-RELEASE with an ISA PCMCIA adapter
    and an Orinoco card set up as my home access point.  My laptop
    (T22) has the same kind of Orinoco card.  Everything works well
    normally, but if I do something  on both hosts that puts them
    into promiscuous mode (like run tcpdump), my laptop will
    eventually crash (remember, it's runing -stable as of 8/15 - the
    base station is running -RELEASE).  Once in a while the
    base-station machine crashed as well.  No crash dumps either
    place.  Not sure what's going on, but promiscuous mode seems
    to cause problems.  I didn't see this listed as a known issue;
    is it?  Here's a dmesg snippet from my T22:

      pcib0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
      pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
      pcib1: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
      pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
      pci1: <S3 model 8c12 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11
      pcic-pci0: <TI PCI-1450 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50000000-0x50000fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci0
      pcic-pci0: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [ring enable][speaker enable][pwr save][FUNC pci int + CSC serial isa irq]
      pcic-pci1: <TI PCI-1450 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50100000-0x50100fff irq 11 at device 2.1 on pci0
      pcic-pci1: TI12XX PCI Config Reg: [ring enable][speaker enable][pwr save][FUNC pci int + CSC serial isa irq]
      pcic0: <Intel i82365SL-DF> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 on isa0
      pcic0: Polling mode
      pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
      pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
    Example output upon inserting the Orinoco card (I see those
    watchdog timeouts and wi_seek messages all the time, btw):
      wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 5 slot 0 on pccard0
      wi0: Ethernet address: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
      wi0: watchdog timeout
      wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
      wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
      wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff

    Here is dmesg output from the crapoid PC/base-station:
      pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
      pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
      pcic2: <Vadem 469> at port 0x3e0-0x3e1 on isa0
      pcic2: Polling mode
      pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic2
      pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic2
      ... The card is always in, this is after pccardd gets started
      wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
      wi0: Ethernet address: 00:02:2d:0a:55:d6
      wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
      wi0: tx buffer allocation failed
      wi0: failed to allocate 1594 bytes on NIC
      wi0: mgmt. buffer allocation failed

    I see that lats message fairly frequently.  As I said, 4.3-RELEASE
    (from CD's just last night, all I did was rebuild the kernel
    to get IPFILTER/IPNAT and a couple other things).

    On the T22, I can leave the card in promiscuous mode normally
    without problems (i.e. on other wireless networks where I'm not
    using IBSS mode); it's only at home that I see these crashes.

(2) T22 SOUND STOPS WORKING ACROSS SUSPENDS
    Sound on the T22 does not work across suspends; I get the familiar
    "dead channel" message.  I hadn't seen this listed as something
    that had been fixed.
       pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0

Other than that, my T22 has been remarkably stable running on the 8/15
source.  It stays up for days at a time, many card inserts and
ejections (all on slot#0 (top), though), on battery or plugged in,
across suspends, etc.  Great job, guys!

Pax,
                                                                --S
- --