Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:20:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        marcel@xcllnt.net
Cc:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: [REVIEW] move tty lock/initial up in the stack

In message: <20040620175711.GA1823@dhcp50.pn.xcllnt.net>
            Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> writes:
: On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 10:50:00AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >
: > Of course I'm reimplementing the Cyclades Z driver to try to use
: > uart, which is why I'm getting curious.  I don't know if this will
: > wind up working or not, but since 95% of the hardware interface is two
: > circular buffers in memory, which does seem to map mostly onto
: > Marcel's model.  Time will tell...  I also have porting the stallion
: > driver to current.  I can do this by a simple hack on the old driver,
: > or a rewrite.  I'll use my Z experience to decide.
:
: You probably want to review my uart(4) notes WRT multiport cards:
: 	http://wiki.daemon.li/index.pl?Uart(4)
:
: This may or may not align with your thinking. If not, maybe we
: should quickly touch bases...
:
: PS: I just added cyclades to the list of references there. Feel free
:     to add more or replace this with a better one.

OK.  I've added a few of my own notes to the mix.  I think that
fleshing out the notes a little more might be useful.  It looks like
there are many granularities for the knowning about which uarts
generated.  It looks like on stallion cards, for example, you know
which pannel generated an interrupt, but that the pannel might have 4
different multi-port uarts you have to then go query.

Warner