Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 09:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Statistics break up program.

> And on several of our servers will miss some events we need in the log.
> Any entries that fall between the two 'cp' commands get zapped. (btw: It
> would be better to move the 'chmod' after the second 'cp' to reduce this)
> These events will be gone forever and may represent billable or auditable
> content. beware...

Sure, depending on system load you could lose a log entry between "cp
logfile logfile.archive" and "cp /dev/null logfile" but you have to
consider this in context.

If you're running an extremely heavily loaded server i.e., millions of
hits per day AND you absolutely must have every single log entry THEN you
wouldn't use this method.  But really, how many websites have meet of
those requirements?

As for race conditions this also has to be considered in context.  In
theory a race condition would only occur if httpd was writing data faster
than cp could copy it.  Unless the destination media couldn't accept data
at the rate httpd was writing this would never happen.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting