Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:08:41 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

* Josh Paetzel (friar_josh@webwarrior.net) [020821 19:08]:
> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 01:20, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> > > Right - I agree with you, Apple will and should stay on PPC and not x86
> > > hardware, for better or worse. I just agreed they'd have a good system
> > > on
> > > x86 too.
> >
> > Nonsense.  There's a lot more to system architecture than the flavor of
> > CPU, and no reason at all to use a typical PC design just because you
> > choose to use an x86 CPU.   If it was that straightforward people would
> > be cloning Macs now; it's no harder to buy G4s in quantity than it is
> > Xeons.
> >
> > KeS
> >

> In my experience THAT is nonsense.  Go open up a SunBlade 100 or recent
> PPC.  Hell, SGI has given in the point of just using intel cpus.  The
> reason people aren't cloning Macs is legal, not technological.  Apple
> didn't release the Power PC into the public domain ala IBM.

What am I supposed to see inside the SunBlade and PPC? I see a cpu, ram,
drives... For good measure, let's open my Marathon clone. Hrm, I see all sorts
of cloned hardware in here. Wonder what prevents me from cloning a mac...

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what conclusion are we supposed to
draw from the statement "Hell, SGI has given in the point of just using intel
cpus."? Going to the front page of SGI.com, I see their latest story is about
a manufacturer who went to SGI Onyx systems. Going to Servers under Products,
I see the first product they're pimping is the Origin line of servers. In
fact, there are no Intel based systems listed under Servers...

Apple does not own PowerPC, it belongs to IBM. IBM currently uses it in many
of their server offerings. Apple's current line of PowerPC cpus are an
implementation manufactured by Motorola. Motorola will sell them to folks
other than Apple. In fact, Motorola has an entire line of PowerPC products for
embedded and other systems.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)