Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 07:26:16 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning suggestions?

According to chuckr@glue.umd.edu:
> Absolutely no sarcasm here, I'm honestly curious why you'd want to have
> so many filesystems.  I would think that (unless you were a major

Old habits die hard. I have space enough so it is not a problem and I like
to have things in their own filsystems. It has IMO several advantages:

- you have have different policies for area (e.g. the area for /usr/obj is
  mounted "async,noatime" and I don't want "/usr" to be "async"),

- it is easier to recover when you have a problem (I have 7.6 GB of disk
  and parallel fsck works fine when I have a crash),

- it is easier to backup, remember that our dump doesn't support
  subdirectories,

- having a big "/" for everything opens the door for problems (losing a
  file in /tmp could result of failing reboot),

- it helps when you want to implement quotas (I don't use them
  personnally),

- I like it that way :-)

> invoestor in a drive manufacturer) you'd be exaggerating the chance of
> having one be overloaded, and then need to either reformat or swap out
> to another, bigger disk, much more often than I.

This is a possibility but I generally size them large enough. When I need
space, "nullfs" & symlinks are my friends. I generally buy a disk a year
and the new disk is often the one I'll boot from and it gives me the
opportunity to resize partitions when I install the new disk.

> A friend who programs a lot shocked me by saying that she regularly
> installs just one big partition, for /,/usr/ the whole works.  I'd
> never done that myself, but I've been trying to come up with some solid
> reason why it's a bad idea.

<shudder> I like things neatly separated, thanks.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #49: Sat Nov 15 20:03:33 CET 1997