Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 11:39:38 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, deasey@server1.netpath.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network setup question

Paul T. Root stands accused of saying:
> > > new     206.27.32.1     gateway 205.139.153.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > This is stupid; the gateway isn't on the network.  For this to work, the
> > 'new' machine's gateway must be on the 206.27.32.* network.
> > If this really worked under Linux then their routing is even more screwed
> > than I thought.  I can't believe it would have...
>
> Perhaps the cisco has sub-interfaces running so the 206 net does exist. Then
> it could proxy arp to itself to get the route to go where it was supposed to.

You're missing the point; the 'new' machine won't be able to find an interface
to emit the packets on in the first place, which is why they're getting
'no route to host'.

If they want to do this, they should be using an interface route.  In the
above case, you'd use

route add default -interface 206.27.32.1

but this loses in that your arp table ends up full of every host that you
talk to.

> The only way to legitimately do it is to use sub-interfaces on the cisco. I
> don't suppose FreeBSD does that (ie 2 or more ip addresses on the same
> ethernet port).

Just down the 'net from here is a pair of FreeBSD machines with a whole
class C aliased onto an interface each; I'd say it works pretty well 8)

> Paul.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[