Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 13:19:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Still looking for ThunderLAN driver testers

I'm still looking for testers for the new ThunderLAN driver code at
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ThunderLAN. After my initial request
for testers, I received one (1) response, which unfortunately was less
than positive (the EEPROM reading code is failing, and naturally the
respondent is going out of town for a week and is therefore not going
to be much help in debugging this problem for a while).

I'm looking for people with Compaq Netelligent or NetFlex adapters
based on the ThunderLAN chip. This includes Compaq Deskpro or Compaq
Proliant/Prosignia machines with built-in networking, also based on
the ThunderLAN chips. The driver also supports ThunderLAN-based Olicom
adapters. At the moment, the only card I have to test with is the
Olicom 2326, which seems to work fine on my test machine.

If you have such a beast and are running FreeBSD 2.2.x or 3.0-current,
please download the driver from http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ThunderLAN
and try it on your system. If you have any problems, please report them
to wpaul@skynet.cctr.columbia.edu.

There are two points I'm interested in at the moment. The first is the
EEPROM reading code. If it fails, you will see an error that says
"failed to read station address from EEPROM" and the interface will
not be attached. If this happens to you, please let me know so that
I can work on debugging this problem. It appears to be hardware specific
and I can't seem to reproduce the problem with the Olicom card. If you
want to be really nice, you might try to arrange to have the system
connected to the internet with a secondary network adapter and let me
in for a little while to debug the problem. Otherwise, be prepared to
try a few diagnostic tricks and report the results back to me.

The other issue is that I think there may be another Compaq integrated
adapter that I don't have in the existing device list. The device
shows up with a vendor ID of 0x0e11 (Compaq) and a device ID of 0xae33.
I have entries for 0xae32 (Compaq Netelligent 10/100) and 0xae34
(Compaq Netelligent 10), but not 0xae33. I don't know for sure if it's
a ThunderLAN adapter or not (the person who owns the machine where I
first encountered this uses Linux and is terminally clueless about such
things). The system is supposedly a "Compaq Deskpro 4000 5166/2500/CDS
DOM." If anybody has one of these can can confirm what type of network
adapter is in this system, I'd really appreciate it.

If anyone knows of any other ThunderLAN-based adapters besides those
made by Compaq or Olicom, I'd like to hear about those as well.

-Bill