Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 12:35:44 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        Robert Small <robert@inu.net>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD. org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

Robert Small wrote:

> Ok, I give up.  I just install FreeBSD 3.3 (and I am completely new at
> FreeBSD), and I can't get the ppp to work.  It dials up my ISP fine but the
> moment PPP starts, it disconects.  Any all help would be GREATLY
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

As the one that talked Robert into FBSD, I would like to add a little
information so that the problem can be solved. (I don't use pppd, so I
can't offer much help)
First, he is trying to use the kppp tool in the KDE suite. If the pppd
needs to be configured first, that bit of information would be helpful.
I do know that Robert has followed all of the steps in the ppp section
of the hand book to the letter, and gets the same results as he does
with kppp, namely, the instant that the ppp session is initiated, the
connection is dropped.
Robert is running 3.3-stable on a PIII, GENERIC kernel. He is using an
external USR V-everything modem. And the settings for his ISP are
correct.... He _is_ tech-support at the ISP.

Any suggestions, from what logs to check, to what needs to be done in
what order would be of great help.

Bob Martin