Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2017 23:52:48 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans91@ksu.edu>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Licence practice for dependencies - making use of more restrictive licences optional

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Dewayne Geraghty <
dewaynegeraghty@gmail.com> wrote:

> The recent change to
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/dns/opendnssec13/
> Makefile?view=markup&pathrev=439426 which uses BSD3Clause, while gnugrep
> uses GPLv3+; reminded me of a customer's requirement to remove GPLv3 code
> from a device they needed.

Hi,

FWIW, and I know the problem is more broad than this specific example but
to hopefully ease your concern in this respect- the working plan is to
re-evaluate all ports dependent on gnugrep when bsdgrep re-grows GNU
extension capabilities.

I hope to do this sooner rather than later- I currently have a working plan
detailed(-ish) on the wiki [1] for growing this functionality out of the
parser currently available in libc/regex without affecting the base
implementation's POSIX compliance and some patches toward this goal. I'm
presently working on some intermediate steps to this end to make for a
smooth transition.

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/LibRegex