Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:41:32 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Ghirai <ghirai@ghirai.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phidgets for FreeBSD?

--69pVuxX8awAiJ7fD

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:25:09AM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:07:53 +0300 Ghirai <ghirai@ghirai.com> wrote:
>  > Is there any (native) FreeBSD supoprt for Phidgets
>  > (http://www.phidgets.com?
>  >=20
>  > Someone seems to have attempted (and succeeded) to run things on 7.0,
>  > some time ago, but there doesn't seem to be any further info
>  > (http://www.phidgets.com/phorum/viewtopic.php?f=3D2&t=3D507).
>  >=20
>  > Any ideas?
>=20
> No, but colour me interested too.  Thanks for the pointer.
>=20
> Copying this to Brooks, who started that thread in 2005 with a patch for=
=20
> phidgets 2.0, which left me wondering if anything has become of that in=
=20
> the 2.1 linux sources, which I'm just grabbing.

I've not really found time to do much since then.  I think I've still
got an ancient port around somewhere.  All my patch did was refactor the
error handling which caused basic stuff to work for me.

> I'm generally interested in whether linux applications using libusb are=
=20
> more likely than not to work on FreeBSD, operational differences between=
=20
> libusb on FreeBSD and linux, and whether our new USB stack has changed=20
> anything in that equation at all?

As a rule, libusb stuff will work.  Historically the function to allow
a kernel driver (usually hid) to be detached hasn't been supported, but
otherwise it's functional.

-- Brooks

--69pVuxX8awAiJ7fD

--69pVuxX8awAiJ7fD--