Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:10:10 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <arun@sharmas.dhs.org>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JVM and native threads

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:12:38PM +0900, Fuyuhiko Maruyama wrote:
> Yes, I also think we need to define some _np calls.  To do so, we need
> to consider what APIs are really needed, defined APIs are sufficient
> and general enough.
>
> We must spend more time to discuss about this issue.

The primary *_np stuff we need has to do with thread resume & suspension.

It's used sparingly in a couple of places with varying levels of functional
importance like the GC and during thread creation time (new threads are
suspended only to be woken up by the spawning function after the stack is
attach to the VM), etc...

I'm struggling with OpenMotif issues right now and I'm kind of wondering
why the current OpenMotif port is a release version behind what's being
offered at their site ?

bill