Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:29:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, databases@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sybase/uname: mystery resolved

Our linux uname(2) emulation is just dandy fine.  There is a bug
in the Sybase client library.  It uses uname(2) to get the local
host name which it sends along to the server.

It turns out that it doesn't matter at all what uname(2) returns
for a hostname as long as it is less than 30 bytes in length.
Sounds like a buffer overflow if you ask me.

Other than this, sybase is working fine.

(Note: I have not yet tried it on a raw partition--I'll have to
cannibalize a swap partition to test that--and a few other more
exotic things.)

Also, a big thanks to Alex Nash for providing a Linux box for
debugging and comparison purposes.

-john