Date:      Sun, 18 May 2003 10:56:47 +0300
From:      "rado" <rado@cablebg.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   fbsd briding && routing

Hi,

I've got a FreeBSD box with 4 Ethernet interfaces. What I tried to achieve
is making three ot them (xl0, xl1, xl2) part of a bridging cluster, and the
last one is my Internet connection. So, basically the idea behind all this
is using the box as an integrated routing and bridging mashine. The setup is
someting like this:

                                           xl0: no IP
Internet <--->  | ISP IP Addr.              xl1: 192.168.1.1
                                           xl2: no IP
All the machines have 192.168.1/24 addreses, as I want to see each other
directly through bridging. xl1 has 192.168.1.1 as a default gw for all the
machines.

Everyting works just fine, for all intranet communication, between these
three ethernet segments. The problem is when there's a sesion between
internal machine and internet, and only for machines on xl0 and xl2 (every
unnumbered interface). The problem, as I see it, is becuase FreeBSD tries to
forward the packet, according to its routing tables (normall!!), and this
always points to xl1 interface. But this prevent the machine on xl0/xl2 from
seeing the packet, obviously the bridging is skipped this way.

I wonder, is it logical to have net.link.ether.bridge turned on, and have
the normal routing applied for packets with destination IPs on one of the
bridge-cluster interfaces,skipping all unnumbered ifaces.