Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:58:29 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI

In message <200010060838.e968cbh04977@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
}> hi all,
}> 	somebody dropped a Dell PowerEdge 2450 rackmount server on my lap :-)
}> it has Dell Perc 3/si controller, which seems to be another name for
}> Adaptec AIC-7899.
}
}No.  The 3/Si involves the i960 and the DIMM slot as well.  If you have
}the RAID key in the system (little dongle, plugs over on the righthand
}side, check the diagram inside the system lid), you will need the 'aac'
}driver from -current or
}http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/index.html#adaptec
getting it now, will check asap.

}
}If there's no RAID key in the system, then you have a standard aic7899.
}If there's a RAID key but no DIMM, then you will probably confuse the
}hell out of things.  Note that you need to set the controller up before
}you can do anything with it.
}
it has both, so far i disabled the RAID in the BIOS and now the disk is seen.
im at the moment installing FreeBSD 4.1.1, since BSDi though saw the disks
couldn't get the exp0/exp1 to work (Grrrrr)

}> anyway,
}> 	NT: ok
}> 	FreeBSD: 4.1.1 does not see it
}> 	BSDi: 4.1 does see the controller but does not find any disks
}
}I'd be interested to know what BSD/OS thinks it's seeing.  I don't
}believe they support this controller.
it does, and saw the 2 ibm disks, and something else which i forgot :-(
but didn't check if it could write because my floppy instalation uses the
network (see above).

}
}> 	Linux: not yet tested.
}
}You will need the percraid driver as shipped by Dell, or the aacraid
}driver as shipping with RedHat 7.0
}

thanks,
	danny
PS: BTW, i sent you a bootp.c with dhcp stuff some while ago ...