Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:19:20 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booting 3.x from CD?

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 01:03:38PM -0500, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> I'm setting up a new machine.  Nothing special, ABit TX5 with an intel
> 233, Paradise video card, 32MB ram (non-parity), 4GB Maxtor, an ATAPI
> 4X cdrom and a keyboard.  That's it.  No network, no mouse, not over
> clocked, nothing at all special.  Both 3.2 and 3.3 CDs get to the data
> section and give a register dump and System halted at the bottom of the
> screen.  2.2.8-RELEASE boots and installs fine, it's just 3.x.  I've
> booted and installed from the 3.2 CD many times on other hardware.  CD
> and hard disk are masters on pri and secondary controllers (HD on pri).

On a (semi-)related topic - I tried to install FreeBSD
3.3-RELEASE on my "Gericom" notebook last week and _always_
failed when booting from either the CD or from the 3.3 bootdisks
I had created.
The booting process would halt at either the point where it says

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz

or it would pass exactly this point and then halt at the next
screen (the one where you select wether you want to config your
kernel in visual mode etc.).  At one of these points it would
simply freeze, no panic, no dump, nothing.
I was able to install FreeBSD then using an old 2.2-something
bootdisk I still had lying around and using it to install from
the 3.3-RELEASE CD.

The only thing "special" about the notebook I can think of right
now, is the DVD-ROM, but disabling in the BIOS didn't help
either.

Is *something* from what I posted here known, or is this perhaps
a known problem?  The notebook now runs without problems, so I
can get additional debug output etc. if wanted.

bye,
  Harold

--
Someone should do a study to find out how many human life spans have
been lost waiting for NT to reboot.