Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:41:57 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Subject:   Re: Tape drive

>Another alternative you may consider is just plain RAID 1 drive mirroring.
>have used a product (can't remember the name) that effectively 'splits' the
>IDE chain to two identical drives, and supports RAID 1 in the hardware.

Arco Computer Products (http://www.arcoide.com/) makes an IDE RAID-1 mirror
controller that sells for about $225.

I haven't used it with FreeBSD, but it works great on a Windoze machine. It
plugs into a PCI slot (for power only, they also have ISA and no-slot
options). The card is attached to the IDE controller on your motherboard,
and daisy chained to the two mirrored drives.

They advertize that it's operating system independent, although you need a
DOS boot diskette to use their data duplication/rebuilding software.

--Dan