Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:29:56 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        PaxJanet@gateway.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD choices

Chip wrote:

> Over a year ago I bought the Complete FreeBSD and installed it without
> MS windoze, and have been quite happy ever since. I do have an old machine
> in the corner with win98 that I very rarely use - the occasional modem dial-up

I'm the same way ... I don't even have a Windows machine at home any
more. However, many of my clients are unable to switch to FreeBSD
because they run special applications written specifically for Windows,
such as MS Access applications, etc. And hardcore gamers will be very
disappointed to find that the latest release is not available for
anything but Windows, although Loki Entertainment is working hard to
change this!

> Just remember, you won't be doing much gaming on the FBSD box, on a
> handful of currant games work on it.

To counter that (and even sound a little like a hypocrite) there are 377
free games in the ports collection. Multi-platform games (such as
FreeCiv) seem to run much better on FreeBSD than on Windows.

-Bill