Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:12:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation (Was: Re: lorder problem: ....... )

> =>  > Whoops; just to clarify; vlink_xlate(tok, dbuf, &dbofs) copies the
> =>  > value of the token at (tok) into (dbuf) at (dbofs) presuming that
> =>  > (dbofs) would not exceed the allowed size, updates (dbofs) and returns
> =>  > 0 (all OK), 1 (not enough room) or 2 (no translation for tok available).
> =>
> =>  Would it not be nicer to introduce a new file/link type?  This would allow
> =>  lower overall cost as you would not have to scan each link, only those
> =>  links of the proper type.
>
> That's one way of doing it. Is was first thinking of doing it through sysctl
> for the whole system on or off. But then that is a sort of blunt axe
> solution.

A new link type is overkill.  The evaluation of symlinks uses FORTRAN-style
mutual recursion (into the same buffer) anyway.

The speed of symlink evaluation isn't really an issue unless the "${" / "}"
is found to be there anyway (or shouldn't be).

It seems to me that the code Mike did fails on the "${" but NOT "}" case.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.