Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:50:19 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cloning a hard drive - performance issues

I've got a drive that started throwing hard read errors. I'm going to
copy it onto a fresh drive. (Details below, if it's relevant.)

Using 2 ATA/66 drives, this has proven to be very, very SLOW. So I'm left
with a hardware question:

Which is faster:

a) Leave both drives on the same cable, set one as master and the other
   as slave
b) Put each drive on its own cable, set them both as master
c) No difference
d) Depends on your mainboard

Here is my 'cloning' process - perhaps this is just a slow operation:

I've prepared my new drive with fdisk, disklabel and newfs. To perform
the 'clone' I'm mounting the new filesystem on /mnt, and piping dump into
restore like this:

cd /mnt
dump -0uaf - /dev/ad0s1a | restore -rf -

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com