Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:18:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike <spork@startrekmail.com>
To:        "Ben J. Cohen" <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        sporkl@ix.netcom.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redirection of processes and of X clients

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ben J. Cohen wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Spike wrote:
> >On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ben J. Cohen wrote:
>
> >> Firstly, is it possible to change the terminal a program is attached to
> >> while it is running?
> >>
> >> For example, if I am running talk, is it possible to move the program from
> >> ttyp2 to ttyv1 on the same machine (e.g. prior to shutting X down if I
> >> don't want to lose the connection)?
> >>
> >> I don't know how this might be achieved, but I know that if you have a
> >> program in the background, kill -SIGCONT pid will make it run in the
> >> foreground (in some sense).
> >> However, I don't see how to apply this in the case where a program is
> >> attached to a terminal.
> >
> >I don't believe what you want is at easily feasible. A process sent to the
> >background is still attached to your terminal. What you want to do is set
> >the STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR file descriptors to a different terminal.
> >Unless the program supports the ability to reassign its STD* file
> >descriptors, I don't think you can do this.
>
> That is basically what I want to do.
> Does the program which is being "moved" have to support the reassignment
> or is it sufficient to get another program to do it?

I suppose you could make a program that would run a second program with
that second program's STD* file descriptors pointing at the first program,
and then the first program would wait for, SIGUSR1, or specific user
input, and then accept a filename to re-direct it's STD* file descriptors
to and therefor the second program's as well. It shouldn't be that hard to
write, but I'm not very good with C. I think I will give it a try though.
Don't expect too much.

> Is there a program (or can one feasibly be written) which does this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com
	 Finger gronimw@shell.stuy.edu for PGP public key.

		The majority only rules those who let them.