Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:26:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Security Administrator <sadmin@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu>
To:        steve@vic.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Security)
Subject:   Re: rdist exploitation

> Someone I know just sent me a snippet of C code to exploit rdist under
> FreeBSD... he used it to obtain the master.passwd file.
>
> Is this a known security hold and what's the plug?
>
> 					-Steve

As far as I know, rdist is still broken.  Your best bet is to
remove the world executable permissions on the program and only allow
root/bin to run it.

That may cause a problem if you are trying to run the program from
afar in an attempt to install something in your local machine.

JP
--
System Security Administrator
Computer Interest Floor