Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 20:46:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        AdamT@smginc.com, freebsd@atipa.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@core.acroal.com
Subject:   Re: Informix on FreeBSD (maybe) (fwd)

On 05-Jan-98 Terry Lambert wrote:
>> IMJO, enormous amount of work.  In my work, we just add some clearly
>> defined subsystems to an existing product and it represents several
>> engineering years of effort.  There is really no need to do all that, I
>> think;  There is a pretty good engine out there that is lacking in
>> specific
>> areas which we are already addressing.  There may be others.  Were there
>> enough interest in our work, we could generalize it so other RDBMS
>> engines
>> could enjoy the benefits too.  Doing the reverse is very tricky;  O/S
>> specific changes are inherently non-portable (TerrY?).  But we are
>> trying
>> to be as clean as we can.
>
> Sometimes it's worth it.  If, for example, FreeBSD could export an
> FS-level transactioning subsystem for use by a database (say from
> a general implementation of soft updates using an event/handler
> based architecture), then there would be such significant performance
> wins that you'd have to be an idiot to not go for it.

I tried to raise interest in doing some of this work in FreeBSD and met
(almost) zero interest.

I am not paricularly interested in cloning any particular database engine.
I find most of them boringly similar in user features.

I think that building certain facilities into an O/S that can be easily be
used by database engines (with little regard to topology of the DBS) is
useful.  To this end I have built an in-kernel Distributed Lock Manager that
is simple and easy to use and am working on developing a simple
in-kernel Distributed Storage Manager than will allow DBMS developers to
use a secure, transaction oriented, distributed storage medium.  This is,
in many cases, half the battle.

> On the other hand, you're right: making something OS specific (or
> even compiler technology specific) is inherently bad, mostly because
> self-limiting portability self-limits the scope of the projects
> relevance.  WINE is a good example here: it's not WIN32, and it's
> Intel-centric, so you don't get the hot guns from the Intel camp, or
> any guns at all from the non-Intel camps.
>
> If he were truly going to clone a commercial product (preferrably,
> an associative database), then there's a good chance that depending
> on FreeBSD features would cause those features to migrate into
> other OS's.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't do a clone unless (1) it was an associative
> database, not a relational one, like IBM's FOCUS or RAIMA's dbVista,
> and (2) There were mature OS features that, as part of my agenda, I
> wanted migrated into other OS's.
>
> Most clone work is not worth doing unless it raises the bar across
> the board.  Clone work is, IMO, a tool for raising bars, and not
> a useful end in and of itself.
>
> FreeBSD is clone work, and it's useful because it can be used by
> commercial vendors.  You can raise the bar for everyone, not just
> those willing to give away their code under the GPL.  That's why
> I do FreeBSD and not Linux: Linux can raise bars as well, but the
> cost of using the code commercially is too high for it to be an
> effective method of encouraging across-the-board progress.  Even
> so, FreeBSD is frequently too conservative (read: slow to adopt
> new technology) for my tastes... but at least it's faster than USL.

Terry,

I'll build the storage manager if you build the DBMS.  Deal?  :-)

Simon