Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 03:26:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Micke Josefsson" <mj@isy.liu.se>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Laserjet Tray selection?

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> I think that what Mike is trying to say is that if you were
> to go to the HP website and call up a document titled
> "HP LaserJet printers - PCL Commands, Basic Page Formatting, and Font
> Selection"

That's one of the pages I was referring to. I believe there's also a
PJL version of the document if your printer supports PJL, though I've
never used it.

> Also, of course, this only works in PCL mode, if you transmit a Postscript
> job then
> these filters won't do anything (or could cause problems).  For example,
> printing
> from Netscape running under X windows, you get Postscript code from that
> application.
> This is only going to be useful for text jobs sent to the printer.

All the tray and paper facilities available from PostScript as well,
and are the ones I use. Adobed added standard functions for these
things in later revisions of PostScript, so an HP postscript printer
will either use the standard method, or HP's proprietary extensions if
the printer's postscript predates the addition of the
extensions. Again, HP's support site has pages that describe both sets
of functions.

	<mike