Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:08:34 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD v3.5!!!!!!!!!

   I must confess that it is not yet clear for me the status of the
   different versions of FreeBSD.

   For example, there are three `streams`, CURRENT, RELEASE and STABLE,
   and there are (now) at least three `main versions`, 3, 4 and 5.

   The more confusing issue for me is the existence of a STABLE version
   for 3, now 3.5, at the SAME TIME with a STABLE version for 4, shortly
   4.1.

   On the other side, as several people wrote to this list, version 4
   is not *THAT* stable. For example the IDE driver `ad` is incompatible
   with older machines.

   To summarize my doubts:
   - Is there any policy of backwards compatibility in the development
     of FreeBSD?
   - Having, as now, two `stable` versions, how to decide on which of
     them is more stable?

   Thanks for any light ...

   Leonardo