Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 13:36:18 +0100
From:      Volker Paepcke <scratchy@vulcan.franken.de>
To:        gj@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        brian@mediacity.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: unpar'ed version of GDB 4.13 available?

   Cc: questions@freebsd.org
   Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 12:36:52 GMT
   From: "gj%pcs.dec.com@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com" <garyj@rks32.pcs.dec.com>
   Sender: questions-owner@freebsd.org

   > I'd like to install the UPS debugger under FreeBSD 2.0.
   >
   > It makes heavy use of (munges) the GDB 4.13 source code, and
   > it doesn't seem to work with the version of GDB 4.13 supplied
   > in the 2.0-FreeBSD release.
   >
   > Does the standard distribution of GDB 4.13 with FreeBSD support
   > exist some where?
   >
   > Has anyone already ported UPS to FreeBSD 2.0?
   >
   > Thanks,
   >
   > Brian Litzinger
   > brian@easynet.com

   I actually looked into this at Jordan's request and concluded that it would
   be more trouble than it's worth to modify ups to work with the version of
   gdb in -current. However, ups has been ported and the port includes all the
   diffs to stock gdb-4.13 to support ups and FreeBSD. What's missing is support
   for kernel debugging and attach/detach, but what the hey.

   There's a copy of the port on wcarchive as /incoming/FreeBSD/ups-port.tgz. I
   actually compiled it and it worked quite well, although I personally
   consider tgdb to be superior.

   Note that I didn't do this port, I just know about it.

   Gary J.

Hi!

I did the port and posted a message a few weeks ago. I had to make
a clean port of gdb-4.13 to work with ups. Since I don't have many
experiences with the gdb and its internals I don't know how to add
kernel debugging and the attach/detach stuff. I even don't know if
this will work with the ups stuff anyway, because I don't know
absolutely nothing about its internels either. -- I'm working with
this ups port and its working quite stable. I've seen many questions
about a port of the ups debugger (because its really nice) that
I think you can live with the lacking of some features :-)

volker