Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:55:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        scottm@cs.ucla.edu (Scott Michel)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: John's latest round of changes

Scott Michel said:
> I've been running a CVSup'd kernel from yesterday, relatively trouble
> free. I'd concur with John: it seems OK for the moment, but be prepared
> to back out at a moment's notice.
>
> Do not use soft updates. That's still pretty unstable (although I've
> yet to get a decent panic and traceback -- machine spontaneously
> reboots under load.)

I have been finding numerous little problems with softupdates.  Most
of 'em are nits, but bad enough to crash the system at times.  As
I find them, I have been committing fixes.  So far, they has been little
interface problems regarding assumptions made by Kirk, and changes made
in our usage.  I haven't found any bugs in the softupdates code per-se
lately though.