Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 20:26:34 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic DNS

On 19 Sep 98, at 1:41, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Set the FreeBSD box's hostname to the .dyn.ml.org. Make sure it is the one
> with the dynamic port :). Set its Ethernet port (or any of them that will
> not change IPs and is active) to the .dyn name. In resolv.conf add: domain
> "dyn.ml.org". MLDDC will update the ML.ORG DNS database with the mymldata,
> which has your hostname specified. Somehow it knows which interface is the
> internet one. The idea is that the .dyn machine has a static IP on one
> network, while not necessarily on another.

Ummm, that's good to know.  But it's not for me.  I want to host a website
from home, namely, www.freebsddiary.com, not to mention a mail server, ftp
server, etc.  The dyn.ml.org approach, whilst very good, won't work for me.

However, the DNS Wizard (http://www.dnswiz.com/index.htm) looks like it
might have what I need.  But it's not cheap.  But fair enough for the
service they provide.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited