Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 12:11:57 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@megadeth.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reinstalling boot blocks...

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 05:41:16PM -0700, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> What is the easiest/safest way to re install the boot blocks on a
> 3.4-RELEASE machine? Can I just use the boot disks, and write out the
> changes in fdisk? (being sure the newfs flag is N! ) ?

To install boot blocks (/boot/boot[12]) use `disklabel -B <your_disk>'.
Here <your_disk> could either be just disk name, e.g. wd0, if you use
it in dedicated mode, or there is a single FreeBSD slice on it, or
particular slice name, e.g. wd0s2 (if you have multiple FreeBSD slices).

To install the standard boot manager (/boot/mbr), use `fdisk -B <your_disk>'.

To install FreeBSD boot manager which allows you to choose the disk/slice
to boot from, use `fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 <your_disk>'.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,