Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:40:46 +0000
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Nessus 4.0.1 for FreeBSD

--On Tuesday, June 16, 2009 13:17:52 -0500 Paul Schmehl
<pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:

> Has anyone downloaded this binary distro and gotten it working on FreeBSD?  I
> tried it recently, with disasterous results.  It not only didn't work, but it
> blew up my port install, which now refuses to update the plugins.
>
> If someone knows how to get 4.0.1 working on FreeBSD, I'd sure appreciate a
> brief tutorial.

Apparently persistence pays off.  After installing (using pkg_add), and had to
run nessusd -R twice to fix the plugins dbs so that the daemon would start and
run properly.

So anyone who's trying to do this, after registering and fetching the plugins,
run nessusd -R twice (if it craters the first time, as it did for me) before
starting the daemon.  After that everything should work as expected.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
Check the headers before clicking on Reply.