Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 17:45:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Ignacio Zelaya <izelaya@infovia.com.ar>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DUMP problem (fixed)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Ignacio Zelaya wrote:

> > if you want to dump /dev/vn0c then I think you have your arguments
> > backwards.  Try:
> >
> >   dump -0 -f /home/ignacio/test/read/output.dump /dev/vn0c
>
> No, Paul, i want to dump all contents of read directory to a file
> mounted in /dev/vn0c. the arguments are ok.

Then /dev/vn0c must be mounted, say "mount /dev/vn0c /mnt", and then
your dump command would look something like:

  dump -0 -f /mnt/dump.file /filesystem/to/dump

...that is, unless you wish to write directly to the vn0c device, but
you mentioned a "file mounted in /dev/vn0c" so the above line should
do it for you.  EXCEPT....

> So i can make a dump of /var, /, /usr, and that file system must
> be also a UFS. The result is that i can't dump that directory. :(

That is correct.  The Linux version of "dump" has been patched to dump
just directories as well.  Not the BSD version.

> I was trying to use dump, because is a good backup system, but is
> designed to tapes. is better than tar and cpio, but dump don't
> fits for me.

Both dump and tar were designed to use tapes.  Both can also write to
files.  If you must archive only a directory and not a file system,
then "tar" should be just fine (unless you have files with big holes
in them, which is not too common...)

-Paul.