Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:02:34 +0200
From:      Eric AUGE <e.auge@moon-system.com>
To:        "JINMEI Tatuya / ?$B?@L@C#:H" <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOCK_RAW sockets and IPPROTO_AH

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:21:07AM +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / ?$B?@L@C#:H wrote:
>=20
> > Unfortunatly, I can't use bpf/pcap solution because I must do some
> > setsockopts (like IP_MULTICAST_IF, IP_MULTICAST_TTL, IP_MULTICAST_ADD_M=
EMBER
> > etc.) and this can't be done on bpf/pcap.
> > When I'm using IPPROTO_VRRP (ip proto 112), All work fine (and other ip
> > proto type I think). What is the reason that SOCK_RAW don't work with
> > IPPROTO_AH (ip proto 51).
> > For me, it's an IP packet in two cases.
>=20
> Let me check, why do you have to include AH by the application in the
> first place?  Is that related to the question you made the other day
> (attached below)?

the question made the other day related to the fact that we wanted
to send AH authenticated packets for VRRP (multicast) traffic, so=20
at first we decided to use the PF_KEY API (RFC 2367) implementation of=20
freebsd KAME IPSEC to "protect" outgoing VRRP advertisements packets genera=
ted=20
by our application (freevrrpd).

After some tests, we decided to implement VRRP/AH the same way as keepalive=
d did,
that allow portability and could be implemented pretty fast without having
to deal with the PF_KEY API and problems we faced with it for multicast
traffic, etc...(the old post you mention speak about this)

So the fact is we build our "AH enabled" VRRP header and wish to send/recv =
using
SOCK_RAW sockets for IPPROTO_AH (51), we can send out packets without any t=
roubles=20
using this socket but receiving on the same socket is impossible, the quest=
ion is=20
why ? why can we receive SOCK_RAW and IPPROTO_VRRP and not IPPROTO_AH ?=20
(socket() returns EPROTONOSUPPORT).

Best Regards,
Eric.