Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 01:44:51 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        fatboy@linuxbr.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskettes

> Hello all

> All times i'm try to read a badblocked disk the system reboot, EVERY=20
TIME.

> What is happen?

> Thanks

Dear Jackson Donadel,

I am afraid FreeBSD 4.x no longer supports bad144.

The concise official recommendation, found in /usr/src/UPDATING, says:

19991203:
	BAD144 support has been removed. Cope or replace the hardware.

From my personal mail archive:

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 09:12:31AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> How do I map out some bad blocks on an IDE drive under current=20
> 4.1-STABLE? (CVSUP'd yesterday).=20
>=20
> I can't find it, and the handbook points to bad144 which is goners.=20
>=20

You don't. Modern IDE drives handle remapping of bad blocks=20
themselves. If
you do get bad blocks that is a sure sign that the disk is nearing the=20
end
of its life. Make a backup of it and get a new disk.
If you are using some older drive that doesn't handle remapping of bad
blocks itself you will have to run 3.x which has bad144.

There is no replacement for bad144 in 4.x=20

--=20
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013@student.uu.se

More info in the freebsd site mail archives :-)

HTH,
Salvo