Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:28:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zippy <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD emulation for Linux

(sorry if you get this twice; I didn't see the original go through)

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> Look at Netscape, or Oracle for that matter.  It was hard enough to get
> them to port to Linux, but, with a perfectly working Linux emulator, do
> you really think that they'd publically release a FreeBSD version knowing
> full well that their Linux binaries should run fine on FreeBSD?
>
> - alex

And again, I must remind everyone of the following fact:

**** Netscape has shown interest in officially supporting a native FreeBSD
port.  All we have to do is get people to send a polite, short email to
nav-support@netscape.com with this request.  One per account, please --
we don't want to kill them with spam. ****

<rant>

Since the original message was mine, I feel I have the right to make the
following observation:

This isn't Congress or Parliament.  Instead of sitting around and
discussing ideas all day, why not get moving and DO something?  Send the
email, THEN re-join the discussion.  That's all I ask.

If you want me to provide a stock e-mail message for you, please let me
know.  I personally think this is a bad idea (they'll think it's a spam
attempt), but hell -- if you've got writer's block, I'll be happy to draft
something on your behalf.

This thread has taken many twists and turns, and I fear the original
message has been lost due to all the political BS that's invaded the
discussion.  Maybe it's my fault for not being clearer, so I'll say it
again, this time in caps:

WRITE A MESSAGE TO NAV-SUPPORT@NETSCAPE.COM AND POLITELY REQUEST THAT THEY
OFFICIALLY SUPPORT A FREEBSD PORT.

Until you do this or the equivalent, you're not contributing to a
solution, no matter how good your intentions.

</rant>

Sorry for the above.  I'm just getting a bit frustrated hearing all the
reasons WHY something's not going to work, instead of hearing that people
are taking a simple step that might MAKE something work.  The door is
open.

Would it help to say that I have information (on NDA, sorry) that
indicates that Netscape is *seriously* entertaining this offer?