Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:06:25 +0200
From:      Piotr Smyrak <smyru@eko.wroc.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   moving with dump and restore

Hi,

I tried to transfer my system to a new bigger drive. I use 'dump' in
conjunction with 'restore'. The new disk is partitioned to /,/usr,/var
and all this slices are mounted as /mnt/root /mnt/usr /mnt/var.

I tried to:
---
/mnt/usr> dump 0f - /usr | restore rf -
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Apr 15 18:11:49 2000
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /usr to standard output
  DUMP: bad sblock magic number
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
Tape is not a dump tape
---
The old disk was one slice + swap, is this a reason I cannot do it
with 'dump'? How can I split the OS into 3 partitions while moving?
Thanks for your time.

--
regards,
 Piotr Smyrak