Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:35:54 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Rudi Opperman <ROpperma@dtt.co.za>
Cc:        Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

Rudi Opperman wrote:

> I understand the benefits of diskless operations - but are floppies/stiffies
> such a good idea?  Isn't their mtf worse than hdd?  Would booting off some other
> type of media (zip /cd / 120mbfloppy), configured readonly, be better?

Yes. FreeBSD, and consquently picoBSD, now support booting from Disk-On-Chip
flash disks, which have very long mttf, especially if you don't write to
them very often.  Flash capabilities up to 40 MBytes are supported, but flash
gets expensive really fast.  2 and 4 MByte solutions seem ideal for booting
picoBSD and providing storage for a few configuration files.