Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 14:58:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, joerg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of any software for playing Video CDs?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
 > > Most of the video CD's are actually ISO9660 formatted stuff (at least
 > > most of the ones I've run into, though my exposure is limited to about
 > > 10 disks). So you have one large mpeg system stream in /MPEGAV/
 > > subdirectory which is playable with players that play mpeg system
 > > streams.
 >
 > Interesting.  I first got "Star Trek IV, The undiscovered country" out
 > and saw that it was clearly labelled "CD-I" - not unsurprisingly, it
 > wouldn't mount as an ISO9660 volume (it'd still be nice to figure out
 > how to play it as it's my favorite disk, but hey - I know it was an
 > early rev of the spec :).  Then I got "Addam's Family Values" which
 > is simply labelled as "Video CD" and, sure enough:

Unfortunately I've actually copied them over to the Freebsd's hard
disk using win95 :-( I tried reading the disks I've with my solaris
workstation and it seems to function ok. I'll try reading them with my
home workstation which has Toshiba CD later today.

 > (xanim, of course, promptly said "bleah!").

Unfortunately some of the files might not be straight MPG system
streams but encapsulated in RIFF CDXA format. xanim cannot deal with
these.

Pete