Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:11:28 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboots: how common in general?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:38:12AM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >
> > Do you have any information on whether this started happening with
> > a new release version?  If the system was fine on 4.2-RELEASE and
> > earlier then submit a PR - also you may want to reference PR i386/27042 - and
> > include your dmesg output.  I would not submit a troublesome ISO unless asked
> > to do so by a developer.
>
> Have a look at http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28672
>
> It seems ISO9660 and ffs file systems get confused if the very first
> blocks hold random data at mount time.

I don't have an audio CD here to try, but I'm certainly going to test it.
But I understand that the machine reboots instantly after the mount in this
case, while my problem occurs when I try to cp a file from a cd9660 CD.
cat, mpg123, strings, dd, access through VMware all work perfectly to
get the file off the CD, but trying to cp it after that makes the machine
reboot. (And if I did not access the file previously I'm getting 'Bad Address')

Karel.