Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 02:04:02 -0500
From:      "Brad Benson" <bradley@softhome.net>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Working in the IT Field - Trials and Tribulations

> On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 12:07:03AM -0500, Brad Benson wrote:
> > You said before the network isn't connected to the Internet. If it's a
> > closed system you shouldn't have to worry a lot about your
> security on the
> > NT box. Unless you have some skilled and disgruntled employees.
> I would make
>
> What's that statistic again about the percentage of security incidents
> that come from the inside?

I don't know about the statistics. I can say that the biggest security
issues I've had, in the companies I've done work for, had little to do with
the OS. Employees working on these closed networks often take security as a
joke. I can't count the times I've gone into a company where most employees
new the root or admin password. I used to do a lot of work with NetWare and
it was even worse. People would setup a network and just give every user
supervisory rights. It doesn't matter how tight the OS is if everyone has
the password, or no one setup the security right in the first place. I'd put
money on the fact that any statistic on internal security has a lot to do
with this type of problem.