Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 11:51:36 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: MS poll

At 05:08 09-06-2000 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

>On 02-Jun-00 G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>> Just found this site <http://neworder.box.sk/>, which contains a poll on
>> whether Microsoft should be split. Here are the current results:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the majority (56.9%) voted no.
>
>I'm not.  For the average non-geek user, have a standardized,
>mostly easy-to-use interface is a good thing.  Most users prefer
>point and click to a CLI.

That's probably true. But that site is for geeks. That is why I was
surprised. Besides, the MS split is not about the interface. It is about
predatory business practices.

The split should, theoretically, not hurt the interface. Perhaps it will
even help it since, again theoretically, there should be no more API
secrets, so, if anything, more programmers will write software for it.

By the way, I have just revisited the site. Now they have 2838 total votes,
of which 49.4% is for the split, 46.2% against, 4.4% do not care.

Of course, it's a moot point now: The judge hath spoken. I am more worried
about one possible scenario I saw on one of the major sites (either ZDNet,
or Wired, or one of those), namely the possibility of George W. becoming
President and dropping the suit while it's being on appeal.

Cheers,
Adam