Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:46:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
To:        Willem van Engen <wvengen@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User-selectable fetch/build/install

[Willem van Engen]
> I'm making a port of the sword project (www.crosswire.org). It's a
> framework for bible-programs and consists of a library and many
> modules.  I would like the user to select the desired modules, and
> then only the selected modules will be downloaded and installed.
> Other ports (e.g. xmms) made several ports for extra modules
> (xmms-crossfade, xmms-liveice, ...). But since sword has many
> modules (>90), I wouldn't consider it practical.  How should I
> implement this? I could make a subdir containing other ports for all
> the modules, or make a shellscript doing all this and create a port
> for that, or create a complex Makefile in the port, ...  Except for
> the first idea, the pkg-plist would be a problem; it would change
> when the user selects something else.  Could anyone shine some light
> on this?

I can see two obvious solutions here:

  1. Make bundles of the modules and create packages for these bundles
     (e.g., ports/editors/xemacs-prog-packages).

  2. Use a shell script for having the user selecting modules.  The
     script generates a temporary plist which is used during the
     install process (e.g., ports/textproc/ispell, sans the shell
     script).

Please note that if the latter solution is used you should probably
also provide a set of ``standard'' modules to be included for
non-interactive builds.

	eSk