Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 20:31:46 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-docs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :)

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 18:11, you wrote:
> Magic !!!! .....  guaranteed way to reduce the number of  "stupid
> newbie questions" to a fraction of what it is.

That was the original

> A couple questions .... I presume the screenshots were captured within
> X Windows using something like Gimp ..... if thats the case then how
> are the really early stage screenshots eg "Kernel Configuration Menu"
> done ??

That's a common question I get. The "screenshots" aren't actually produced in
the conventional sense. I used two computers when creating the documents: one
for the actual installation and another to document the process. So no,
they're not produced in X.

Each screen is hand-crafted using Netscape's wysiwyg composer to produce html
tables that very closely resemble the installation screens. And yes, it does
take a lot of time. Once I had the basic format, its was relatively easy to
make modifications.

> I'm aware of the "script" thingy, but there doesn't appear to be any
> way to use that before first reboot.  I've traditionally used actual
> photos for documentation & this is OK for hard copy & LAN use but the
> size of photos make webpages a bit slow. g "Kernel Config Menu"

Exactly. That was one of the reasons for using the html table approach. They
are text-based and load very fast. That's important to people who have to pay
per-minute charges for net access.

I'm switching to the use of images to ease the conversion to sgml. I've tried
to take the digital camera images and reduce their size but the quality
degrades. I loaded the html table documents in my browser and used XV to
capture the frame and crop. To further reduce the image file size, I change
the format to 8 bit mode and save as a png image. Most of the images in the
new format are 3k to 8k in size (a few larger, a few smaller).

Granted, its a bit of work but its been something I could contribute back to
the project. Any input you could offer would certainly be appreciated;
however, I'm going to "freeze" the document until the sgml is finished. Its
too hard to hit moving targets.

Randy